Extensive restoration and renovation work has just been completed.
The house was originally built in 1859 by J.W. Robinson. Ulysses S. Grant, his wife, Julia and their 4 children Fred, Ulysses Jr. (Buck), Nellie and Jesse moved to Galena and rented this unassuming brick federal style home in April of 1860.
A year later Grant left for the war and Julia stayed here for another year before going to stay first with the Grants and then to her family home of White Haven in St Louis and later joining Grant as he commanded the Union forces. From 1888 to 1943 the house was owned by a surveyor named Mr. Scott. The bathroom window was etched by one of the Scott's family members in 1893 and those markings are still there today. Since 1943 the house has had 6 other owners.